Collection management: grouping and ordering books
Moved information from Stacy in #168 (closed):
you also asked that I add in this issue our current process for building collection pages.
This is similar to how the book TOCs are created, in that the Bookshelf content specialist either:
- manually creates the XML for these in some custom order OR
- they "set-up" the values for it to be auto-generated according to the following grouping and sorting rules:
For grouping the following keys are supported:
- year = by publication year (e.g. in napcollect)
- volume = by volume (e.g. ukhtacollect)
- status = whether the member is archived or current (e.g. nicecollect)
- year-status = by year as well as by status (e.g. hsertacollect)
Grouping by keys not present in the collection member XML or in the database is not supported (e.g. topical grouping as in genallcollect), in which case manual collection building is required.
Grouping is optional, and by default collection lists are not grouped.
For sorting the following keys are supported:
- title = by title (e.g. in napcollect )
- date = by publication date
- volume = by volume (often meaning "number")
When no sorting key is specified, default sorting applies based on the availability of metadata in the collection member XML and according to the following priority list: by volume > by pub-date > by title.
Finally, like the book TOCs, we allow users to select what level of metadata to display for each book (or collection member) in the collection.
Let me know if anything is unclear or you need additional information.